Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Krista Lakes


First and foremost, please tell us a little bit about yourself. Well, I like chocolate and long walks on the beach, though I have already found my soul mate. My husband and I have a little boy that keeps us running like crazy. He's adorable and when I'm not writing, I'm hanging with him. I know he has us wrapped around his little finger because all we watch is Sesame Street- to the point where my husband and I debate the character motivations of the monsters.

You tend to write various types of genres.  What's your favorite to write and why?  What are you most comfortable to write and why? I started out short stories focusing more on erotic romance. As I wrote more, I found myself falling in love with longer romantic plots. It took a little bit for me to find my favorite genre, and to discover that I liked writing longer.

Are you a plotter or a pantser? I'm a plotter. I started out as a pantser, but with the longer stuff that I wanted to tie together, plotting makes my life so much easier.

What is your writing routine? Get up with the kiddo, write as much as I can during his nap, play some more, and then write furiously after he goes to bed.

Where do you find your inspiration? Sesame Street. (Just kidding). I get a lot of it from my friends and family, and then I love to read other writers and then expand on the ideas I like from there.

Do you write the steamy scenes in your Ancient Loves stories the same way you would write the same scenes in your contemporary stories? The Ancient Loves stories were some of my first works, and they are a little more erotic than what I now put in my contemporary novels. The novels are able to get more character depth, so I focus more on the relationships than the sex.

What made you want to write Megan as a plus-size woman?  I think it's amazing because even in today's society, heroines are usually stick-thin and gorgeous, whereas Megan is just plain gorgeous in every way.  Did the concept come to you as a separate entity (you had Megan and you thought, 'Hey, I should make her plus-size') or was she always plus size? She was always plus size. The character was really me writing about one of my best friends, and how I would love her love story to look. I wanted to write something that would give her the happy ending she deserves.

How was it writing short stories and novellas and then writing your first novel-length book?  Do you have a length preference?  Why or why not? I started out with the shorter stories, just because I was getting a feel for writing again. My first full length novel was kind of an experiment just to see if I could write something that long. I found I loved the process. I got to focus more on the characters and bigger plots. I still write short stories every once in a while just because they are fun, but I definitely enjoy the novel length works best.

What type of relationship is your favorite to explore and develop? I love writing about friendships and "love from across the room". It's probably because that is what I am most familiar with in my own life, but it is fun to explore and dive into.

What type of person is your ideal heroine when you're both reading and writing?  What type of person is your ideal hero when you're both reading and writing?  Are they the same?  Why or why not? I love having a heroine with a little bit of fight to her, and definitely someone with brains. I hate it when the solution to a problem is super obvious and the heroine misses it, or when the entire problem could be fixed with a simple adult conversation, so I try not to do that too much in my own works. As far as heroes, I enjoy writing the alpha males, though in my reading I tend to fall for the comical sidekick. There is a lot of overlap though, so whenever I read something that I really enjoyed about a character, I do try to put it into my own heroes/heroines.

Why did you decide to self-publish? Starting out with short stories, there just aren't a lot of options for traditional publishers. I found an amazing community of self-published people, and I've never looked back.

How did you earn your success in the self-publishing industry?  Do you have any advice for aspiring novelists? A lot of it is looking at successful books and then making it your own. I collaborate a lot with other indie authors. My advice to aspiring novelists is to find other successful people. Join writing forums and follow successful authors. Make friends with them. Go over your ideas with someone else and then have beta readers. I bounce my covers, my blurbs, and plot points against other successful people and then use their feedback.

Would you recommend advertisements or did you market your books through a different venue? I loved using facebook. There are groups devoted to getting the word out, so I looked those up and then made a sale price to start with.

How involved are you in terms of editing/book cover/release date/marketing process? Since I am self-published, I get to do it all and have complete control. I make a lot of my own covers. I am learning photoshop, so they keep getting better, but when I get stuck I do hire professionals. For my novels, I hire an editor who works with me to make them better. I am amazed at the stuff she finds! Even if you can't afford to hire an editor, at least get someone else to read over it!

Are you working on anything now? I am working on the next installment of my Billionaire Love Story books, Champagne Kisses

Any upcoming releases?  I don't have anything available for pre-order yet, but I'll hopefully have Champagne Kisses ready for publication by the end of September.
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment