Thursday, September 12, 2013

Jennifer Probst



First and foremost, please tell us a little bit about yourself.  I write both sexy and erotic contemporary romance, and was lucky to begin writing full time about a year ago. I'm a mom of two young boys, two rescue dogs, and my house is always a bit chaotic and never truly clean!

 Are you a plotter or a pantser? Pantser all the way!

 What is your writing routine? I'll get my kids on the bus, bring my coffee in, and work on social media and email for about half an hour. Then I write, and take breaks with twitter and facebook or for more coffee! I write until I get my kids from school, spend some time with them, and write till dinner (my husband usually does the cooking lol!). Then I'll write into the evening depending on the work in progress, a good tv show I can't miss, or a deadline!

 Where do you find your inspiration? Everywhere. Travel, every day conversations, daydreaming, books, movies, it's all out there ready to be tapped. Inspiration is never a problem - finding the time to write all the stories in my head is!

 Do you get your plots first, or your characters? Characters are always first. I'm heavy on character driven novels because that's my meat. Plot just drives it forward.

 What is it about billionaires that attract both readers and writers alike? I just love my billionaires! They are interesting, driven, alpha males, and isolated. Most are lonely and vulnerable when you strip the outside. There's so many layers and conflict right there in a billionaire, just from his past and how he got there. I never get tired of this type of hero, if written well.

 You add a twist in your MARRIAGE series with the love spell.  How did you come up with that concept and what kind of reception have you gotten from it? I love magic. When I was single and searching, it was hard out there. My friends and I talked about a love spell, and heard about this one where you write down all the qualities of your man and put it under the mattress. The Marriage Bargain was born from that idea, and our own search for Mr. Right and the frustration of not finding him! Most readers love it - I even put out the official Book of Spells for fun!

 How did you research Italy (for The Marriage Trap)?  Does setting help add to the romance and the tension? I've always adored Italy, my grandmother came from Naples, and I took four years of Italian in school. I used the internet heavily, and had traveled on an extensive tour when I graduated from college. The background is romantic, and Italians favor the strong ties of old fashioned family which I adore. Yes, I believe this type of setting only adds to the romance.
  
The Marriage Mistake is extremely unique for a contemporary romance.  I love the concept.  Was it as fun to write as it is to read? The Marriage Mistake was one of my most difficult stories to write! It was painful, had to be completely rewritten, but now it's one of my favorites. I think Carina was young when I introduced her, so I needed to really tap into her growth, which was key to the book. Now I'm so proud of it like a mama who let her baby grow up!

 Your MARRIAGE series focuses on four sisters.  How did you write their relationship so they didn't come off as one dimensional or stereotypical? I don't have any sisters so I had no preconceived ideas! I wrote what I wanted them to be like, and I made sure each of them were complete individuals. I think that was important so each of their stories were completely different. I also know every sibling is unique - my brother is a doctor and I faint at needles, and he can't write a paper haha!

 How do you keep the sexy scenes between your characters so steamy and different? I love writing about sex. Yep, I said it. It's out there. Sex is awesome - what a way to keep the tension, discover more about your characters, and just have that tingle factor. Sex is as unique for two individuals, so again, I use character for them to tell me how the sex scenes should be. Marriage Merger was one of my darkest, most erotic in the series because of my hero having an abused past and control issues.

 Tell us a little bit about Madame Eve, from your STEELE BROTHERS series. I love my 1NS stories! Decadent has a great set up where Madame Eve is the mysterious matchmaker and sets the characters up for a one night stand, and it ends up in love. I created three powerful brothers in Vegas who all meet their match. It's heavy on BDSM which I adore reading and writing, and explores some of the more erotic tendencies in my writing. I would love to write the last one as I promised so as soon as I have the time I'll finish the series!

 You write all sorts of books, from romance to erotic to family.  What genre are you most comfortable writing and why? All of them, depending on the day. I've written a short story about an abused rescue dog from the dog's POV and it was just as important and comfortable as romance. I'm a person who's interested in everything in life so I never want to limit myself. But I will say romance is my core - my soul work, and I will always write contemporary romance.

 What type of relationship is your favorite to explore and develop? The alpha issue laden male matched with a powerful kick ass woman who takes him on a wild ride and teaches him about love.

 What type of person is your ideal heroine when you're both reading and writing?  What type of person is your ideal hero when you're both reading and writing?  Are they the same?  Why or why not?  Again, I love strong men and women, already set with their careers and a bit older. I love that tug of individuality and control against the power of love, and the vulnerability one feels when you commit to another person. I dislike weak, whiny, poor me characters - I won't read them or write them.

 Why did you decide to self-publish? I self published the story about a rescue dog and gave the royalties to my local pet shelter. It was an experiment and I liked it. I adore my traditional publishers and don't intend to stop, but I needed to explore more in the self publishing circuit and partnered with Cool Gus to help. Bob Mayer and Jen Talty take care of all the marketing, cover, formatting, PR, etc, and I can concentrate on the writing.

 How did you earn your success in the self-publishing industry?  Do you have any advice for aspiring novelists? Success is earned the hard way - lots of work and good books/stories. I built a solid platform a long time before my books became successful. I made friends, followed blogs, knew the industry, honed my craft, and wrote all the time. There's no easy way - do the work, learn your craft, be available in social media and genuine, and it will all come together.

 Would you recommend advertisements or did you market your books through a different venue? I had no money at first, so I did a lot of library signings/speakings for PR. I did lots of blog stuff with the reviewers I followed and who liked my work. I did a lot of blogging because I built an audience and I enjoyed it. I tried different routes because you have to find what you like and are comfortable with. I did some inexpensive swag, made sure I went to conferences for networking, and hooked up with other authors to cross promote. There's no magic formula.

 How involved are you in terms of editing/book cover/release date/marketing process? Very involved. Traditional and self published books need the input of the writer I think to succeed. I work well with my editor, and very closely with Cool Gus during every aspect of the book from beginning to end.

 Are you working on anything now? Yes! I am finishing up Searching for Perfect, the second in the Searching series coming out May 2014. Then I'll be releasing the first in the Posse series on the self pubbing side which will come out Feb or March 2014, titled One More Time.

 Any upcoming releases?   Searching for Someday releases November 24th and I'm so excited about it! It's a spin off from the marriage series about a group of best friends who launch a matchmaking agency. It's up for preorder here: Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1476744920/simonsayscom
Website: http://www.jenniferprobst.com
twitter @jenniferprobst
 all social media on my webpage


No comments:

Post a Comment