Thursday, September 5, 2013

Melanie Marchande



First and foremost, please tell us a little bit about yourself.  I've been a storyteller since before I could write, so writing books full-time is a dream come true for me. It all started when I would draw elaborate graphic novels telling stories in the universe of "Spot the Dog." When I got older I started writing fan fiction, and then was finally introduced to the world of self-publishing. I live in New England with my husband and I currently have bright blue hair.

You tend to write various types of genres.  What's your favorite to write and why?  What are you most comfortable to write and why? Right away, when I'm thinking about writing a certain genre, I get a sense of whether I "get it" or whether it merits further research. Romance is something that's always made sense to me, so I enjoy it. Right now I am working on a New Adult romance where the rules are slightly different, but I also feel comfortable that I can give people what they're looking for. You never want to feel like you're letting someone down, as a writer.

Are you a plotter or a pantser? My instinct is to pants it, but I've found that's not really doable for a professional writer. So, I force myself to outline. I can't really do traditional outlining, but for my current book I just sat down and started free-form writing out different things that I wanted to happen. I ended up with pages and pages of material, more or less in chronological order. It's not pretty, but it works for me!

What is your writing routine? This is a little personal, but I think it's important to mention - I have ADD, so it's hard for me to stick to "routines" just now. I wanted to share this because I think it can be a very hopeful message for my fellow ADDers out there - I have been more successful than I dreamed, and you can to! The trick is to be realistic and allow yourself as much time as you truly need to finish a project. I can't write as fast as many of my colleagues, and that frustrates me. But I try to sit down and write at least a few hundred words every day. Sometimes it's a matter of forcing myself to close my internet browser and JUST WRITE! If I'm lucky, I'll get sucked in to the story and am able to continue for a while. But if all I get done is a few paragraphs, that's a few paragraphs more than I had when I started. I usually try to sneak in some writing time whenever I'm not feeling too tired, stressed, or distracted, because I know it's a matter of little bits adding up to something big.

Where do you find your inspiration? Anywhere and everywhere. I know everyone says that, but it's true! My upcoming NA novel is based on the environment and culture that I grew up in, and I was actually inspired to come up with the plot when I was browsing Facebook, looking at the profiles of people I used to know. Nearly all of them got married very, very young, due to the culture we were all raised in. ("True love waits," promise rings, and no dating allowed unless it was Seriously Heading to Marriage, and then it was called courting.) I happened across an interaction between two people, one of whom had a pretty serious crush on the other when we were teenagers. They're now each married to other people, and it made me wonder - what if they still had feelings for each other? And then I realized there was a book in that!

What is it about billionaires that attract us to them?  I think it's a combination of mystery, glamour, power and isolation. Most of us don't really know that much about how the very rich live their day-to-day lives, so it's enticing (and, we imagine, glamorous). And of course, as we all know in one way or another - money is power. It's hard not to feel a little bit materialistic when you're truly in need of something, and the idea of never having to worry about finances again is very enticing. Not to mention how flattering it is when a man who could have anyone chooses you. Finally, there's the sense of loneliness we imagine billionaires must feel. They never know who their true friends are, and they can't necessarily trust anyone. Nobody loves the feeling of being crowded out by, or ignored in favor of, their S.O.'s friends and family. So the idea of a very isolated man can be quite appealing. 

How do you take a popular plotline (a marriage of convenience) and make it stand out? In these situations, it's about creating interesting characters and having a compelling voice. Popular plot lines are popular for a reason - people want to keep reading them, over and over. And you can't deviate too far from the formula or it's not really what readers are looking for. So you exercise your originality in other ways. I like to add little tidbits from my own life, and design characters after interesting people I've known.

How was it writing a sequel with the same couple?  How do you ensure that the chemistry is still sizzling now that a good amount of time has passed? The direct sequel romance is a strange animal, certainly. It lacks that "new relationship energy" that I think a lot of people are looking for in a romance novel, which really makes the subsequent books "family saga" more than anything. I think it's necessary to inject a major plot event that threatens to shake the foundations of the relationship. Otherwise, you'd end up writing about people arguing over who loads the dishwasher. I've found in my own life that marriage can be a constant journey of rediscovery and falling in love again and again - so I tried to capture a little bit of that in my books.

What was it like writing a female character who didn't initially want children when our society's norm still falls under "Women SHOULD have children unless they CAN'T"?  Did you receive any backlash?  I didn't - and I think it helps to write the characters in a way where people relate to them and understand the choices that they make. For Maddy it's a matter of personal growth, but that just applies to her. Plenty of women will decide early on that they don't want children, and will stick with that decision forever and be happy about it. I think readers catch on to the fact that Maddy's personal journey isn't meant to be a mandate on how all women should behave. I don't pretend that my writing exists in a vacuum, and my personal feminism is important to me, but in this particular case I just wanted to tell an authentic, compelling story.

What type of relationship is your favorite to explore and develop? I prefer relationships where there is some kind of conflict, confusion, or hesitation at the outset. Love at first sight just isn't that interesting to me - unless, of course, there is some MAJOR obstacle keeping the people apart. I'll be exploring the possibilities with that in my upcoming New Adult novel Shelter Me, under my alternate identity of Mina Bennett. Although the protagonists Jacob and Marissa have feelings for each other as soon as they meet, their circumstances get in the way of them being together and they're forced to deny their feelings for a long time.

How did you go about publishing your stories?I publish independently on all the major platforms available to me, including Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing, Barnes & Noble's Nook Press, Kobo's Writing Life, iTunes Connect, and some other, smaller venues. I learned about self-publishing last year and I've never looked back.

Do you have any advice for aspiring novelists? WRITE! The only thing that separates an "aspiring" novelist from a novelist is - you guessed it - writing a novel. Once that's done, get it edited, figure out how to market it, and publish! It's really that simple. Notice I said "simple," not "easy," because none of those things are necessarily easy to do. But they are possible, and they're much more accessible than they used to be. If your biggest goal is to get into the hands of readers, there's no reason to query publishers and sit on your hands, unless you really want to. I think a lot of people hesitate at this step because they're afraid of what they're going to find out. But what's the worst that can happen? People don't like your book, you learn from it and apply it to your next book. It flops? Same story - learn from your mistakes and try again. Self-publishing creates the purest possible relationship between reader and writer. You can find out EXACTLY what people want, and give them EXACTLY that. No one stands in the way. It's kinda beautiful.

Would you recommend advertisements or did you market your books through a different venue? My experience has been that marketing makes, at best, a negligible difference. If you have a book people want to read, and you make it attractive and make it easy to find, you've done your due diligence. Anything on top of that is icing on the cake. If you haven't done those things, no amount of marketing will help much. That said, I know some very smart, experienced people who've crafted excellent marketing strategies that helped turn a bestselling book into a CRAZY bestselling book. But another person might try the exact same technique and have lackluster results. The absolute best thing you can do is write, publish, and write some more.

How involved are you in terms of editing/book cover/release date/marketing process? I'm a one-woman show. Well, except for my critique partner. But I do extensively self-edit as well, make my own cover art with stock photos, and decide on my own release dates and marketing plans. The variety is actually a lot of fun, and I'm kind of a control freak, so I wouldn't have it any other way! There are a few exceptions; I worked with Tantor Audio to put out my first audiobook and I'm very pleased with having it all handled for me. There is a platform called Audiobook Creation Exchange (ACX) where people can negotiate their own deals directly with voice actors and all that, but I hate listening to auditions, dealing with people not meeting their deadlines, et cetera. I'm also in the process of negotiating some foreign paperback translation rights, which is clearly something I can't do on my own. Generally, though, for ebook translations, I pay a freelance translator and handle the publishing myself. But I do have to be confident beforehand that there's a robust enough ebook market amongst readers of that language, because it's a significant investment upfront. 

Are you working on anything now? I'm limping towards the finish line on my New Adult novel Shelter Me, which you can shelve on Goodreads here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18113006-shelter-me I hope to have it out by mid-September.

And it's been a long time coming, but the audiobook version of my first novel, I Married a Billionaire, is finally out! http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?asin=B00ENJ1B5C&qid=1378133258&sr=1-1 I'm really excited for people to be able to enjoy the book in a whole new way. 

Social Media/Contact:
Twitter: @MellieMarchande

Make sure to join my mailing list for special offers and exclusive sneak peaks and giveaways: eepurl.com/srHcH



1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for this opportunity, Heather! Very happy to be featured on your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete