Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Madeline Courtney



 Please tell us a little about yourself (if you can provide a picture, feel free to do so).  My name is Madeline Courtney and I'm a Teenage Author. I'm sixteen years old and I'm graduating high school a year early. I was born and raised in Carthage Missourti until my freshman year when my parents decided to move. At my new school I was horribly bullied and I had to drop out to be home schooled, but it all worked out in the long run because now I am living my dream and graduating a whole year early!

What type of books do you like to read? What type if books do you like to write?  I like to read SciFi and Fantasy books, which is also what I like to write. Normal lives are boring. If I wanted to read about a girl going through normal problems I'd read my diary.

What are your top 3 books? What are your top 3 authors?  My top three books are Flowers in the Attic by V.C Andrews, The Host by Stephenie Meyer, and Flawless by Sara Shepard.
My top three authors are V.C Andrews, Meg Cabot @megcabot, and Ksenia Anske @kseniaanske

What inspires you to write?  I am inspired to write by the simple need to escape normal life. Normal life is dang boring. I'd rather be where the aliens, vampires, and murderers are.

Are you a plotter or a pantser? Why?  I'm a plotter because when I lay in bed at like three in the morning I listen to music on my phone and create different scenes that I am going to write the next day that go along with the lyrics. I can't go in blind. If I do it ends up like shit splattered on walls. (Pardon my french).

What time of day do you write?  I usually write in the morning, but sometimes I also write in the afternoon if I'm home alone.

What tool do you normally write with? (A pen, computer, phone, etc.)  I have to have my cellphone at all times. It's my most important tool. When I'm writing I send out live tweets and text my bestie, Melissa Scholes (@angelicreaper12 on twitter) about my new ideas and ask for her opinion.

Have you ever dealt with writer's block? If so, how did you combat it?  I hate writer's block. It makes me so mad. I get over it by laying on my bed and staring at the ceiling until I get so bord I have to write something. It usually comes out looking like shit, but I fix it up on the second draft.

Please tell us a little bit about your work.  My story is the retelling of A Scandal in Bohemia. I kind of want to keep it a surprise so all I'm saying is; Sherlock Holmes vs. Irene Adler, vampire.

Why Sherlock Holmes?  I chose Sherlock Holmes because the extravagant storyline sucked me in from page one.

What made you turn Watson into a female character?  I turned Watson into a female character because they both have such chemistry and, though I support gay rights completely, I didn't feel as though they were... homosexual. I wanted the characters to be together without controversy. Besides, I always thought Watson was a... more girly character.

What inspired you to take Sherlock Holmes and put him and his companions in a supernatural world?  The supernatural world allows me create anything want and no one can say anything about it because it is my world. Plus, I can't write normal stories. They awlays turn out supernatural somehow.

Tell us a little bit about the vampires in your world, please.  My vampires are completely evil. They kill for fun (kind of like cats). When they smell something/ someone they want their eyes turn completely black. I would compare my vampires more to a shark than a "mountian lion".

Who is your favorite character to write?  My favorite character to write is Irene Adler.

What type of romantic relationship do you like to read? (Hate/love, best friend, forbidden, etc.) is it the same type you like to write? Why or why not?  I like to read about any type of romantic relationship. Love is love and I love love. Yes, I love to write about any type of love (but mostly complicated love triangles. Or, in The Case of Irene Adler, love squares).

What draws you to a book (to read)?  What draws me to a book is the descriptions. I like being told what to see because I feel like I am seeing the exact same thing the author is.

What characteristics do you look for in your ideal heroine? Your ideal hero? Are they the same characteristics you employ when you write your heroine and your hero? Why or why not?  For a heroine I, personal like, damsel in distress. And for a hero I love the idea of a night and shining armor.

What are you currently reading?  I am currently reading Midnight Alley by Rachel Cane. (@rachelcane)

Finally, what are the ingredients to your favorite book? (A dose of action, a splash of romance, etc.)  The ingredients to my favorite book would have to be romance. Love is the key. Also, I like SciFi and Fantasy.



No comments:

Post a Comment