Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Brooke Moss



First and foremost, please tell us a little bit about yourself.  I write because if I don't...my head will explode, and ruin the drapes."  Brooke writes complex, character-driven stories about kismet, reunited lovers, first love, and the kind of romance that we should all have the chance at finding. She prefers her stories laced with some humor just for fun, and enough drama to keep her readers flipping the pages, and begging for more. When Brooke isn't spinning tales, she spends her time drawing/cartooning, reading, watching movies then comparing them to books, wrangling five kids, mugging on one hubby she lovingly refers to as her "nerd", and attempting to conquer the Mount Everest of laundry that is the bane of her existence. Brooke is also an avid Autism Awareness advocate, and a passionate foster/adoptive mother, who loves to share her experiences with anyone who will listen. Find Brooke elsewhere on the web at www.brookemoss.com

You tend to write various types of genres.  What's your favorite to write and why?  What are you most comfortable to write and why?  I have dabbled in fantasy YA, which I enjoyed, but my confidence level, and the genre in which I've had the most success, is contemporary romance. I love writing true to life stories. Every couple, whether they're old or young, rich or poor, has a love story to share. I love finding that love story and turning it into a book. :)

Are you a plotter or a pantser?  I am a pantser who gets nervous around chapter 4 or 5, then I loosely plot the rest of the book. 

What is your writing routine?  Well, because I have a large family, I tend to write when my children are occupied or in school, and when my family is sleeping. But when I do, I usually pour myself a diet wild cherry pepsi, or get a mug of hot cocoa, then I turn on some music, or a delicious reality television show to create background noise, and I get to work. 

Where do you find your inspiration?  Everywhere! 

Baby & Bump has an incredibly unique concept: A woman gets pregnant and falls in love with a man who isn't the baby's father.  How did you come up with this?  Honestly? It came from a Facebook thread where one of my friends commented that it would be mortifying to see an obstetrician who was hot. It just snowballed from there....

Going into a relationship with kids who aren't yours can be stressful, hard work, and the inspiration for new insecurities.  Despite this, Fletcher still seems intent on pursuing Lexie.  What made him decide Lexie was worth the obstacles he and they will no doubt face in their relationship?  When you know you've found the person who is meant for you, you just KNOW. When Fletcher met Lexie the situation was not ideal. But he knew in his heart that she was the one he was supposed to be with, as did Lexie, and so they wind up together--despite the odds being stacked up against them. Love doesn't always have good timing. It just happens when it happens. 

I love the fact that Lexie is strong and independent, an intelligent businesswoman who isn't eager to settle down just yet but still take responsibility for her actions when she decides to keep the baby.  How did you come up with her character?  The last few characters that I've written (before Lexie) have been women who started off as meek and weak, but eventually grow strong and independent. I wanted Lexie to be strong from the get go. I think I succeeded. 

Billionaires permeate the romance genre.  How did feel writing a blue-collar hero in APPLES & ORANGES?  Honestly, I am over the billionaire craze. No offense intended, but I like reading about guys that you or I could meet in a Starbucks and fall in love with. And the likelihood that I will meet a hot Greek billionaire is pretty low. But the likelihood that I would meet a handsome mechanic? Very high. So why not write about love that is actually plausible? 

THE CARNY has an amazing plotline (pretty much because I'm going through something similar).  Did you have to do any research in Native American tribes while writing Vin?  I did research the tribes native to the Astoria, Oregon, area, since that's where the story was based. I also have a Native American neighbor, so I picked his & his wife's brains on a regular basis. :)

Normally, heroines in romances are "normal" because authors want a wide-range of readers to relate to them.  Charlotte is wealthy.  What was it like writing a financially independent woman?  Actually, Charlotte isn't financially independent. Her family is wealthy, and her father holds their wealth and social standing over her head. Charlotte learns to be independent without her family or their money. It's pretty cool to watch her story unfold. 

It's hard to be with someone family - both his and hers - don't approve of.  What inspires us to be with someone, knowing it's going to be harder than being with someone "flawless"?  Because the relationships worth fighting for are the best relationships out there. Think about what that says to your partner? I love you so much, that I fought tooth and nail to be with you. That's a bold declaration of love. Very romantic. 

You tend to write heroines as single parents.  What inspires single-parenthood in your stories?  I am happily married to the nerd of my dreams now, and we have four biological children, and one foster child. But before we were married, I found myself a single mother of two at a fairly young age. It was those years that really molded me into the person I am today, and I wouldn't trade those times of struggle for anything in the world. I love writing about "real" people, and frankly, lots of people looking for love are single parents nowadays. Plus, when I was single, I would always look for books with single mother heroines, and could never find them. So I decided to take things into my own hands....

How did you come up with the concept for UNDERWATER?  I live in eastern Washington state, near the Idaho panhandle, where there are countless lakes lost deep in the woods. There is one lake, Pend Oreille, that is so deep that they test Navy subs in it. Navy subs! Gah! Whenever we go there, I am scared out of my mind that one of my children will drown, because all I keep thinking is: we'll never find them. They could go down, and we'd never find them! Between that irrational fear, and my love of all things mermaids...Underwater was born. 

Why do people - both women and men - tend to give guys from their past a second chance even if a great new guy from their present is interested, like Vi does in KEEPING SECRETS IN SEATTLE?  I'm not sure. I guess it comes back to what I said before. Your heart loves who your heart loves. Sometimes you fall for someone, even though it's not the smart choice. But in the end, you're meant to be with that person. 

Why did you feel you had to write CHARLOTTE'S WEDDING?  My publisher asked me to. I didn't know she was going to post it on Amazon and charge people for it, as it was intended to be a free bonus story as a companion to The Carny. But here we are...

What type of relationship is your favorite to explore and develop?  Opposites attract. My husband and I are complete opposites, and yet, I adore him. And he me. I love creating love like that for my characters. 

What type of person is your ideal heroine when you're both reading and writing?  What type of person is your ideal hero when you're both reading and writing?  Are they the same?  Why or why not?  I love writing a flawed heroine. Whether she is unconventionally pretty, or really down on her luck, or just plain bitchy...I love humanizing a flawed character. My ideal hero is a guy who is hot, but attainably hot. Someone who can laugh with you, and then make your panties spontaneously combust if the situation calls for it. 

What has the publishing process been like?  Good and bad, with more bad than good. That's why I'm self published now. My self publishing experience has been wonderful! 

Would you recommend advertisements or did you market your books through a different venue?  Most of my publicity has been done through loyal and helpful blogger friends, Facebook, Twitter, and word of mouth. 

How involved are you in terms of editing/book cover/release date/marketing process?  Now that I am self published, I get final say in everything, and I love it. When I was traditionally published, I had very little say. That was tough for me. 
Are you working on anything now?  Yes! I am working on book 3 of the This & That Series, as well as a YA with magical elements. Lots of fun things coming up...



No comments:

Post a Comment