Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Erin Bowman



*If you haven't read any of the TAKEN trilogy, this interview has spoilers so BEWARE!

What was it like writing a YA from a guy's perspective?  Was it easier than writing from a girl's, or more difficult?  Did the males in your life assist you with certain male reactions/feelings/thought processes?  I didn't find it too challenging, but I also got really lucky with Gray--his voice was crystal clear in my head, and he materialized for me nearly fully formed. I have a WIP where it took me forever to channel the female MC properly. I am not my characters--girl or boy--so it really just comes down to knowing what makes them tick and hearing their voices clearly. From there, I can bring almost anyone to life once I buckle down.

Without giving TOO much away, as you work on the third book, did you always know who Gray was going to end up with between Emma and Bree (if either of them), or did the characters force your hand and completely go against script?  Who says he end's up with anyone? My lips are sealed! ;) But to answer the question in a more fitting fashion, I had an idea how the romantic subplot would play out as I finished drafting TAKEN, but by the end of FROZEN, I was positive. My gut reaction was correct from the get-go, but I let my characters confirm it.

I try to always approach my writing this way, letting the characters lead. I have a master plan, but if the characters deviate from it, I follow and see if it feels right. More often than not, they lead me to a plot twist, upped stake, or hidden gem of a scene that I didn't know existed.
Being left behind is the worst.  Will we see more of Emma in the second book and the aftermath of Gray's decision to leave in order to find a group of rebels?  Yes and yes! Emma gets plenty of page time in FROZEN, and you'll see exactly how Gray's decision to leave Crevice Valley at the end of TAKEN plays out.

What can you tell us about FROZEN?  Lots of hiking. A plot twist or two, because I'm quite fond of those. Snow and cold and more snow. Also, a few new characters, one of which has become a personal favorite.

Has your writing process changed at all from the minute you first started writing TAKEN to finishing up the final book in the trilogy (For example, did you become more of a pantser?  Did you write by hand rather than a computer? etc.), or has it generally stayed the same?  I've found that every book demands to be written a little differently, but for the most part, the Taken Trilogy has been a product of a fairly basic routine: Brainstorm for weeks on end, scribble ideas into a notebook, record a few key plot points (I'm a pantser at heart), and then sit down and draft.

The drafting usually happens in a two or three month period where I lock myself in my office, listen to a ton of film scores and instrumental soundtracks, and cry over my keyboard. Without fail, there are moments when I think the book is garbage, doubt every single word I've written, and am convinced reaching the end is impossible. But somehow it always gets done. And then the real work begins--revising!

What is it like finishing up the last book in a trilogy?  Will we see these characters again?  Bittersweet. I've been hanging out with Gray since early 2010, so it's very emotional to be beginning our goodbye. I'm currently working on a digital only novella that will release between books one and two. There might be another between two and three if I'm lucky. But other than those, once I wrap things up in Book Three, I don't intend to write about these characters again.

Are you working on anything new?  I'm always bouncing between two or three (or ten) side projects. So many ideas! At the moment, the one I'm most focused on is a standalone fantasy project. Fingers crossed it will one day finds its way to a shelf!

Erin Bowman used to tell stories visually as a web designer. Now a full-time writer, she relies solely on words. She lives in New Hampshire with her husband, and when not writing she can often be found hiking, commenting on good typography, and obsessing over all things Harry Potter. You can visit her online at www.embowman.com and find her on twitter @erin_bowman.



No comments:

Post a Comment